Submitted by scott on Thu, 04/09/2020 - 15:35
Venue
On
41° 4' 46" N , 85° 8' 20" W

Academy of Music: 215 E. Berry St., Fort Wayne, IN (between Clinton and Barr Streets). It is the small white-fronted building at left  

Built as The Rink: 1870  (a roller skating venue)  

Converted to a public hall: c. 1878-80 

Later known as The People's Theatre, which name is on the sign in the above image made from a photograph in 1899.  

Demolished: 1901-02  http://www.oscarwildeinamerica.org/lectures-1882/february/0216-fort-wayne.html 

After it opened in 1870 as a rollerskating attraction, The Rink became a favorite playhouse. Situated at the site of the Elektron Building, 215 E. Berry St., The Rink was converted into a theater in 1880 and renamed The Academy of Music (also, it later came to be called The People's Theatre). In its heyday, troupes like the London Theatre Company and the American Opera Company made regular stops at The Academy, as did the Buffalo Bill/Annie Oakley extravaganza. It was during this time the custom arose of singing the national anthem at the close of each play. - See more at: http://egen.fortwayne.com/ns/projects/history/haw2.php#sthash.uhykLbDP.dpuf  

This is actually between Clinton and Calhoun Streets. 

Theater