You are here

Corning, NY

Crystal City, Corning became known for its glass industry but it began with lumber rafting down the Chemung River. Then large local mills. Soon the timber was gone and the mills moved north. Just upstream from Corning, the Cohocton River and the Tioga River merge to form the Chemung River which flows through downtown. The river was an important source of power in the early history. It floods frequently.

Corning is named for Erastus Corning, a very wealthy financier, politician and land speculator. He ran the Utica & Schenectady railroad for twenty years.

The first settlement was near the site of the future city in 1796. The community was set apart from the town as a village in 1848. Corning incorporated as a city in 1890. As the glass industry developed, Corning became known as the "Crystal City."

Corning became a railroad town in the 1880s, many smaller railroad lines busily weaving webs of tracks connecting the major trunk line to smaller communities.

Of interest to local historians is Bloody Run - An area near Gorton Creek, it was the site of a battle between forces of American generals John Sullivan and James Clinton and Native American villagers. This battle was part of a campaign directly ordered by George Washington to break the control of the Iroquois Indians in the area. It was called Bloody Run for the reports of bloody creek water coming from the battle scene.

Credits

Add new comment

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Help Develop This Site by Donating Through Paypal