You are here

Deer Creek Station

Located just east of present Glenrock, Wyoming, Deer Creek Station, on the route of the Oregon Trail, served as a Pony Express Station prior to its designation as a telegraph station in 1861. According to one early telegraph operator, “Deer Creek was 100 miles west of Fort Laramie, and 28 miles east of where Casper was later situated. It is located 10 miles from Box Elder Station and 10 miles from Bridger Station on the west bank of Deer Creek. The station was owned and operated by an Indian Trader by the name of Bisonette, who was Station Keeper for a while. Deer Creek Station was the name applied in the 60′s, but as that outpost fell into disuse, a settlement grew up at the mouth of Deer Creek, which was called Mercedes. After the discovery of coal, the place was named Nuttall, from Wm. Nuttall, who found and developed the coal property. In 1887 it took the name of Glenrock (when the buildings were moved to the present location), from the sandstone eminence near the refinery.” The name Glenrock means “Rock in the Valley”. (Expedtion Utah)

Several sources agree on the identity of Deer Creek as a station for the Pony Express, largely because it appeared on the 1861 Overland Mail Company contract. Stagecoaches and other travelers stopped here as well. Structures at Deer Creek included Indian Agent Major Twiss' headquarters, a post office, a store, and a saloon operated by an Indian trader named Bisonette. The station's exact location has not fully been identified yet. (NPS)

Help Develop This Site by Donating Through Paypal