You are here

Fort Kearney Station

Since Fort Kearney was a stage stop on the L. & P.P. Express Co. and C.O.C. & P.P. Express Co. lines, it is likely that Russell, Majors, and Waddell also used this site as a Pony Express station. Other sources list Fort Kearney as a station or stopping place for Pony Express riders. Mattes and Henderson express doubt that Fort Kearney ever served as an official Pony Express station. Privately owned businesses were not granted space on U.S. military bases. However, Pony Express riders possibly stopped at Fort Kearney to service the mail needs of the military. The fort saw a lot of traffic from the military and riders possibly made stops at the sod post office, built in 1848. Mattes and Henderson suggest Doby Town (Kearney City), about two miles west of the fort, as a more likely location for the station. The site is located about five miles southeast of Fort Kearney, on the right bank of the Platte River. (NPS)

Note: Mapped is a point at Great Platte River Road Historical Monument

Help Develop This Site by Donating Through Paypal