You are here

Michael Martin's Station

Several notable sources identify Michael Martin's as a station, including Gregory Franzwa, who places it on his Oregon Trail maps as approximately ten or so miles southwest of Green River Station. Michael Martin, a French-Canadian, managed station operations at his trading post, where he sold a wide variety of items. Richard Burton mentions that Michael Martin had a store there, and that in 1860 his stage stopped there for a short rest, making it highly likely that the Pony Express stopped there. However, Bishop and Henderson point out that the 1861 U. S. mail contract did not identify it as a station, indicating it may have been eliminated as a station by March 1861. (NPS)

After the preliminary squabble with the mules we forded the pebbly and gravelly bed of the river in parts it looks like a lake exhausted by drainage whose swift surging waters wetted the upper spokes of the wheels and gurgled pleasantly around the bags which contained the mail for Great Salt Lake City

Help Develop This Site by Donating Through Paypal