The Antelope Springs Station, which was listed on the 1861 mail contract, has been identified by several sources as a Pony Express stop. In 1859, George Chorpenning constructed this station, that later served the Pony Express. On June 1, 1860, Indians reportedly attacked the station and burned the structures. When English traveler Richard Burton visited the site in late 1860, he found a corral, but no new station house. Burton also noted that the station burned the previous June. According to Burton, "the corral still stood; we found wood in plenty, water was lying in an adjoining bottom, and we used the two to brew our tea." A new station went up sometime after Burton's visit. (NPS)
Beyond the kanyon lay another grisly land, if possible more deplorable than before; its only crops were dust and mud. On the right hand were turreted rocks, around whose base ran Indian trails, and a violent west wind howled over their summits. About 1:30 PM we came upon the station at Antelope Springs; it had been burned by the Gosh Yutas in the last June, and had never been rebuilt. George, our cook, who had been one of the inmates at the time, told us how he and his confreres had escaped. Fortunately the corral still stood: we found wood in plenty, water was lying in an adjoining bottom, and we used the two to brew our tea.
(The City of the Saints, p 465)