Young Men s Hall in the Biddle House Block was first used November 21 1861 It seated 1 500 and for many years was a popular place of resort Since 1875 it has been but little used for lectures
The history of detroit and michigan or the metropolis illustrated, Silas Farmer 1889
The Biddle House was once Detroit's most luxurious hotel, but, like much of the city, its lasting legacy is tied to the automobile.
It was designed by A.E. Wales for Maj. John Biddle -- the fourth mayor of Detroit -- on the southeast corner of Randolph and Jefferson. It opened its doors in June 7, 1851. It was one of Detroit's earliest hotels - and at 500 rooms, one of the biggest hotels in the state. It was designed by A.E. Wales.
A fire in 1848 destroyed much of East Jefferson Avenue, but also opened the way for a destination hotel on what was the city's most important street. The Biddle House was built on the former site of Gov. William Hull's residence. Hull had fought in the American Revolution and served as governor of the Michigan Territory from 1805–13. However, he is best known for being the War of 1812 general who surrendered Fort Detroit to the British on Aug. 16, 1812.
The building had a quirky cupola - which appeared too small for the size of the building. Advertisements proclaimed that it was "strictly first class in all its appointments." It was, as the hotel's slogan said, "the traveler's perfect home." It was one of the city's most beloved institutions, and was "patronized by Detroit's leading men and many of them with their families lived there," Clarence M. Burton wrote in his history "The City of Detroit, Michigan."