Rush Valley Station was also known Meadow Creek Station, Doc. Faust’s and, erroneously, as Bush Valley. Although identified in the 1861 mail contract as Bush Valley, it is apparently a typographical error or was copied as a result of a misinterpreted hand-written contract. This station was established originally by George Chorpenning in late 1858. Within Utah (present boundaries), Chorpenning had built two relay stations, the one at Rush Valley called Meadow Creek Mail Station and the other at Smith Springs (Fish Springs). (NPS)
About 4 PM, as we mounted, a furious dust storm broke over the plain; perhaps it may account for our night's meprise, which a censorious reader might attribute to our copious libations of whisky. The road to the first mail station, "Meadow Creek," lay over a sage barren; we lost no time in missing it by forging to the west. After hopelessly driving about the country till 10 PM in the fine cool night, we knocked at a hut and induced the owner to appear., He was a Dane who spoke but little English and his son, "skeert" by our fierceness, began at once to boo hoo. At last, however, we were guided by our "foreloper" to "Johnston's settlement" in Rock Valley, and we entered by the unceremonious process of pulling down the zigzag fences. After some trouble we persuaded a Mormon to quit the bed in which his wife and children lay, to shake down for us sleeping places among the cats and hens on the floor, and to provide our animals with oats and hay. Mr Grice, the marshal, one of the handiest of men,, who during his volunteer service in Mexico had learned most things from carrying a musket to cooking a steak was kind enough to prepare our supper, after which, still sorely laden with whisky dying within us, we turned in. (p 450-1)
To Meadow Creek 27th September
We rose with the dawn, the cats, and the hens, sleep being impossible after the first blush of light, and I proceeded to inspect the settlement. It is built upon the crest of an earth wave rising from grassy hollows; the haystacks told of stock, and the bunch grass on the borders of the ravines and nullahs rendered the place particularly fit for pasturage. The land is too cold for cereals; in its bleak bottoms frost reigns throughout the year; and there is little bench ground. The settlement consisted of half a dozen huts, which swarmed, however, with women and children. Mr Kennedy introduced us to a Scotch widow of mature years, who gave us any amount of butter and buttermilk in exchange for a little tea. She was but a lukewarm Mormon, declaring polygamy to be an abomination, complaining that she had been inveigled to a mean place, and that the poor in Mormondom were exceedingly poor. Yet the canny body was stout and fresh; her house was clean and neat; and she washed her children and her potatoes.
We had wandered twenty five miles out of the right road, and were still distant fifteen to sixteen from the first mail station. For the use of the floor, flies, and permission to boil water, we paid our taciturn Mormon $2, and at noon, a little before the bursting of the dusty storm gusts, which reproduced the horrors of Sindh, we found ourselves once more in the saddle and the ambulance. We passed by a cattle track on rolling ground dotted with sage and greasewood, which sheltered hosts of jackass rabbits, and the sego with its beautiful lily like flowers. After crossing sundry nullahs and pitch holes, with deep and rugged sides, we made the mail station at the west end of Rush Valley, which is about twenty miles distant from Camp Floyd. The little green bottom, with its rush bordered sinking spring, is called by Captain Simpson "Meadow Creek." (City of the Saints, p 451-2)