Camp Station/Grub(b)s Well Station (N39 37 24.8 W116 28 33.4)
Grubb’s Well is commonly mentioned in the published lists of Pony Express stations, and is also listed with Overland Stage stations, however there was no station at the site in the fall of 1860.
It was in existence by August 1861, and the Pony ran until October 1861. In July 1861, John Butterfield began his Overland Mail and Stage Express and Freight Service just prior to the demise of the Pony Express. He ran his stage fairly closely along the Pony Express route, but he built some additional stations along the route. Grubb’s Well was probably built in July 1861 for the Overland Stage.
Since it was right on the Pony Express Trail it was probably used as a way station for the last few months of the Pony. Its use by the Overland continued until 1869. In 1861 the station was a tepee-like structure of rough poles covered by rushes and grass. There was fresh milk from a rare milk cow kept by the hostler. The well here was only 10′ deep and was open to anyone who would haul the harshly alkaline water. (Expedition Utah)
The first station west of Roberts Creek was Camp Station or Grub(b)'s Well. Many historical sources generally agree that this station existed, but that it may not have existed until about July 1861, when it was probably built as an Overland Mail Company stage stop. Riders probably used the station during the last few months of the Pony Express' existence to breakup the thirty-five mile ride between Roberts Creek and Dry Creek Stations. (NPS)
After twelve miles we came upon a water surrounded by willows, with dwarf artemisia beyond; it grows better on the benches, where the subsoil is damper, than in the bottoms -and there we found our lazy boys, who, as Jim Gilston said, had been last night "on a drunk." Resuming our way, after three miles we reached some wells whose alkaline waters chap the skin.
(The City of the Saints, p 483)