Submitted by scott on Mon, 04/20/2020 - 16:48
Venue
On
43° 6' 11" N , 75° 13' 45" W

One of the few remaining landmarks of early Utica is Mechanics Hall on the northwest corner of Liberty and Hotel streets. It was erected by the Utica Mechanics Association in 1837. In August 1836, a building known as the “Clinton House” was demolished to clear the site at Hotel and Liberty streets. The ground floor was of cut stone and was intended to be rented for stores. The upper floors were constructed of brick, with pilasters of the Tuscan order ex­tending to the cornice. The second floor contained a reading room and library. The whole of the third floor consisted of a hall, forty feet by sixty seven feet six inches, with a lofty ceiling. It was adapted for musical performances, lectures and public meetings. 

http://www.oneidacountyfreedomtrail.com/mechanic-s-hall.html

Lecture Hall