This church has owned and occupied three houses of worship: The original Plymouth Church, northwest corner of Meridian street and Monument Place, now a part of the English Hotel; the second Plymouth Church, on the southeast corner of Meridian and New York streets, on ground now occupied by the Federal Building, and the third, on Central avenue, at Fourteenth street, which was acquired by purchase and remodeled. http://scholarworks.iu.edu/journals/index.php/imh/article/view/5761/5242
The English Hotel and Opera House is often lamented as one of the biggest preservation losses in Indianapolis history. The grand Victorian building stood from 1880 until 1948 on the northwest quadrant of Monument Circle.
The building was constructed in three phases by the English family, who moved to Indianapolis from Lexington in Scott County. In 1864, the Honorable William H. English, a businessman, banker, historian, and politician, bought the W. S. Hubbard residence which had been built in this block in 1840. He greatly expanded the simple two-story home by adding a wing, a “queer-looking tower,” and an iron fountain in the front yard. (Indianapolis Star, July 8, 1923. The original photograph is in the English Collection at the Indiana Historical Society. The 1890s snapshot depicts William E. English, son of William H., standing in front of his old home. Zoom in to see a sign above the door for the Indianapolis Medical and Surgical Institute. William H. English moved into the new hotel in 1886 and leased the old house to various groups and businesses.) http://historicindianapolis.com/then-and-now-english-hotel-and-opera-house-120-monument-circle/
January 7, 1885 and February 6 & 7, 1885
The venue cited in the review of the show was the Plymouth Church, so it is unlikely that it was the building located on Meridian Street. More likely is the building known as the Plymouth Church in 1885, the building at Meridian and New York Streets. Photograph of Plymouth Church: W.H. Bass Photo Company Collection, Indiana Historical Society. http://images.indianahistory.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/dc012/id/2950
Mike Perkins from the Indianapolis Public Library has confirmed the address and sent along a small PDF from the 1885 Indianapolis Polk City Directory and a copy of the event announcement from the Indianapolis News dated January 7, 1885
Assistive Technology Coordinator, Public Services Librarian
The Indianapolis Public Library, Central Branch