Founded in 1845 as Canandaigua & Corning RR. The 47 mile Watkins-Canandaigua, NY Railway opened in 1851. Renamed Canandaigua & Elmira Rail Road in 1852. 1857 after bankruptcy sold to George B. Holmes, who reorganized it into Elmira, Canandaigua & Niagara Falls RR. After bankruptcy in 1858, it was renamed Elmira, Jefferson & Canandaigua Railroad in 1859. From 1859 leased for 20 years to the New York & Erie RR, which leased the line to the Northern Central Railway in 1866. The railroad then grabbed Thomas A. Scott, the man who built the Pennsylvania RR into the largest railroad system alongside that of the Vanderbilts, in the late 1870s.