The Hartford, Providence & Fishkill entered Providence in 1854 with a road that would be extended to the Hudson River at Fishkill.  It was purchased by the Boston, Hartford & Erie in 1863 which had plans to extend the road to Boston but failed in that endeavor.  It was reorganized as the New York & New England in 1873, reorganized as the New England Railroad in 1895 and came under the control of the New Haven in the same year.  The line in Rhode Island remained intact until 1968 when the track west of Washington was abandoned.

KML File View