The New York Central Railroad (reporting mark NYC) was a railroad primarily operating in the Great Lakes and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. The railroad primarily connected greater New York and Boston in the east with Chicago and St. Louis in the Midwest along with the intermediate cities of Albany, Buffalo, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Syracuse. New York Central was headquartered in New York City's New York Central Building, adjacent to its largest station, Grand Central Terminal.
1 The McIntyre Coal Company, established in 1870, was a bituminous coal subsidiary of J. Langdon and Company, formed in partnership with William K. and Cornelius Vanderbilt, “who were engaged in an urgent search for fuel coal for the steam locomotives of the New York Central Railroad which they controlled.” Mining operations were based in Ralston and McIntyre, in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, but offices were at 6 Baldwin Street in Elmira, along with the parent company. By mid-November 1870, Charles J. Langdon, who had been the secretary of the McIntyre company under his father, became its president, with John D. F. Slee later assuming the vice-presidency. The company’s “large scale operations” included the building of “a village with 300 small homes, a school, a church, and several small business establishments. For 16 years, mining was carried on with an annual output of over 200,000 tons moving by rail to destinations in New York and Canada” (Jervis Langdon, Jr., 10–11; Boyd and Boyd, 17, 156; CJL to SLC, 15 Nov 70, CU-MARK; 15 June 74 to Brown, NN-B).