Submitted by scott on Mon, 11/22/2021 - 09:54

Capital was built in San Francisco, by shipbuilder John Gunder North in his shipyard in the Potrero District. Launched in 1866, it was a 277 feet long, 1,989 ton, side-wheel paddle steamer. Capital, was the largest of the steamboats on the rivers in California and the last side-wheel steamer built for the California Steam Navigation Company for the run between Sacramento and San Francisco until it was put to use as a ferry by the railroad between Oakland and San Francisco in July 1876. It remained on the water under various owners until it was broken up 1896.

Wikipedia

KML Geofield