Submitted by scott on

W. C. Barrett built a three-story brick block at the North-East corner of Main and Hickory Streets.  It was given the address of One Main Street.   The opera house was on the third floor of the building.

The building was sold to Henry Swannell, proprietor of the drug store on the ground floor, and C.S. Morehouse in March, 1873. They made some renovations to the opera house space.

Barrett's Hall was remodeled in August, 1882.  It was renamed the Champaign Opera House.

Three speakers of note:  Susan B. Anthony, Mark Twain (1871), and Frederick Douglass (1872).

40.11832, -88.243034
Site Category
Type of Feedback