Twain's father purchased the property in 1839 but the date the house was built is unknown. Sam was living there by the time he was eight years old. The family lived there until 1853. except for an interval in 1846-47 when they boarded at the Pilaster House. Sam and Henry shared a second-floor bedroom. After 1853, the house was rented to frequently changing tenants and may have been a restaurant. Sam revisited the house several times. During his last visit in 1852 a well known photo was taken of him in front of the house. He had remarked that each time he returned home, the house seemed to grow smaller; one more visit would transform it into a birdhouse.
39° 42' 43" N , 91° 21' 28" W