The area of Talloires has been settled since Neolithic times. In Roman times, Talloires was a stage on the consular road leading from Milan to Strasbourg; the town is however mentioned for the first time in the 9th century AD. In 1016 an abbey was founded here by King Rudolph III of Burgundy and monks from Savigny Abbey and Lyon. The now standing structures of the Abbey were built in 1681. The famous chemist Claude Louis Berthollet was born in Talloires, then part of the Duchy of Savoy, in 1749.
45° 50' 28" N , 6° 12' 52" E