The 3rd courthouse was quickly built in 1873, a grand French Renaissance-style building, with a clock and bell tower rising 113 feet into the sky. It had a mansard roof, and was constructed of brick with iron cornices. Its size was a disadvantage when fire broke out in 1901; ladders and water could not reach the upper floors where the fire began. Documents were however safe in fireproof vaults built to protect them.
The Courthouse (1861). The first courthouse was built in 1765 by the colonial government in Centre Square (Third & Northhampton) and torn down in 1861. The present courthouse is several blocks north (SiC) from the town center atop one of Easton's many hills and the front faces Walnut Street. The oldest part is the center section with portico and tower, built in 1861 in the Classical Revival style.