Submitted by scott on
Start Date
End Date

They said that as I had never spoken in public, I would break down in the delivery, anyhow. I was disconsolate now. But at last an editor slapped me on the back and told me to “go ahead.” He said, “Take the largest house in town, and charge a dollar a ticket.” The audacity of the proposition was charming; it seemed fraught with practical worldly wisdom, however. The proprietor of the several theatres endorsed the advice, and said I might have his handsome new opera-house at half price—fifty dollars. In sheer desperation I took it—on credit, for sufficient reasons. In three days I did a hundred and fifty dollars’ worth of printing and advertising, and was the most distressed and frightened creature on the Pacific coast. I could not sleep—who could, under such circumstances? For other people there was facetiousness in the last line of my posters, but to me it was plaintive with a pang when I wrote it:
“Doors open at 7 1/2. The trouble will begin at 8.”
That line has done good service since. Showmen have borrowed it frequently. I have even seen it appended to a newspaper advertisement reminding school pupils in vacation what time next term would begin. As those three days of suspense dragged by, I grew more and more unhappy. I had sold two hundred tickets among my personal friends, but I feared they might not come. My lecture, which had seemed “humorous” to me, at first, grew steadily more and more dreary, till not a vestige of fun seemed left, and I grieved that I could not bring a coffin on the stage and turn the thing into a funeral. I was so panic-stricken, at last, that I went to three old friends, giants in stature, cordial by nature, and stormy-voiced, and said:
“This thing is going to be a failure; the jokes in it are so dim that nobody will ever see them; I would like to have you sit in the parquette, and help me through.”
They said they would. Then I went to the wife of a popular citizen, and said that if she was willing to do me a very great kindness, I would be glad if she and her husband would sit prominently in the left-hand stage- box, where the whole house could see them. I explained that I should need help, and would turn toward her and smile, as a signal, when I had been delivered of an obscure joke—“and then,” I added, “don’t wait to investigate, but respond!”
She promised. Down the street I met a man I never had seen before. He had been drinking, and was beaming with smiles and good nature. He said:
“My name’s Sawyer. You don’t know me, but that don’t matter. I haven’t got a cent, but if you knew how bad I wanted to laugh, you’d give me a ticket. Come, now, what do you say?”
“Is your laugh hung on a hair-trigger?—that is, is it critical, or can you get it off easy?”
My drawling infirmity of speech so affected him that he laughed a specimen or two that struck me as being about the article I wanted, and I gave him a ticket, and appointed him to sit in the second circle, in the centre, and be responsible for that division of the house. I gave him minute instructions about how to detect indistinct jokes, and then went away, and left him chuckling placidly over the novelty of the idea.
I ate nothing on the last of the three eventful days—I only suffered. I had advertised that on this third day the box-office would be opened for the sale of reserved seats. I crept down to the theater at four in the afternoon to see if any sales had been made. The ticket seller was gone, the box-office was locked up. I had to swallow suddenly, or my heart would have got out. “No sales,” I said to myself; “I might have known it.” I thought of suicide, pretended illness, flight. I thought of these things in earnest, for I was very miserable and scared. But of course I had to drive them away, and prepare to meet my fate. I could not wait for half-past seven—I wanted to face the horror, and end it—the feeling of many a man doomed to hang, no doubt. I went down back streets at six o’clock, and entered the theatre by the back door. I stumbled my way in the dark among the ranks of canvas scenery, and stood on the stage. The house was gloomy and silent, and its emptiness depressing. I went into the dark among the scenes again, and for an hour and a half gave myself up to the horrors, wholly unconscious of everything else. Then I heard a murmur; it rose higher and higher, and ended in a crash, mingled with cheers. It made my hair raise, it was so close to me, and so loud.
There was a pause, and then another; presently came a third, and before I well knew what I was about, I was in the middle of the stage, staring at a sea of faces, bewildered by the fierce glare of the lights, and quaking in every limb with a terror that seemed like to take my life away. The house was full, aisles and all!
The tumult in my heart and brain and legs continued a full minute before I could gain any command over myself. Then I recognized the charity and the friendliness in the faces before me, and little by little my fright melted away, and I began to walk. Within three or four minutes I was comfortable, and even content. My three chief allies, with three auxiliaries, were on hand, in the parquette, all sitting together, all armed with bludgeons, and all ready to make an onslaught upon the feeblest joke that might show its head. And whenever a joke did fall, their bludgeons came down and their faces seemed to split from ear to ear.
Sawyer, whose hearty countenance was seen looming redly in the centre of the second circle, took it up, and the house was carried handsomely. Inferior jokes never fared so royally before. Presently I delivered a bit of serious matter with impressive unction (it was my pet), and the audience listened with an absorbed hush that gratified me more than any applause; and as I dropped the last word of the clause, I happened to turn and catch Mrs.—‘s intent and waiting eye; my conversation with her flashed upon me, and in spite of all I could do I smiled. She took it for the signal, and promptly delivered a mellow laugh that touched off the whole audience; and the explosion that followed was the triumph of the evening. I thought that that honest man Sawyer would choke himself; and as for the bludgeons, they performed like pile-drivers. But my poor little morsel of pathos was ruined. It was taken in good faith as an intentional joke, and the prize one of the entertainment, and I wisely let it go at that.
All the papers were kind in the morning; my appetite returned; I had a abundance of money. All’s well that ends well.

(Roughing It)


This was not Mark Twain's first experience as a pubic speaker, as the text in "Roughing It" suggests. Jeremy Leatham, of Baylor University, has described Twain's first public speaking engagement while still working as a reporter in Carson City. Twain had met Charles Farrar Browne, otherwise known as Artemus Ward, in Virginia City "and the success and encouragement of the famous humorist no doubt influenced Clemens". His address was before the Third House, a prestigious mock legislative body, January 27, 1864, soon after he started using the nom de plume "Mark Twain". The address was held to raise funds for a local church was essentially a parody or burlesque of Governor Nye's state of the territory speech given on January 13, 1864. (Jeremy Leatham).

“It would appear from the accounts of Mark Twain’s biographers and from Mark Twain’s own account in Roughing It and elsewhere that the San Francisco lecture of October 2, 1866, was planned as an isolated event, and that the interval between the decision to lecture and the lecture itself was a matter of only a few days.”

“The probability is, however, that the decision to lecture in various California and Nevada towns was made in advance of October 2, and that by this date at least some of the arrangements had already been made or were in progress”.

(Lorch pg. 35)

Scharnhorst maintains that Twain's description of his first lecture was ...

A pretty tale, but demonstrably stretched. For days in advance all of the San Francisco newspapers had puffed his appearance and reported that the lecture was a sellout. Many attendees, “unable to obtain seats, ranged themselves in a standing posture against the walls.” The next day the Morning Call, in fact, urged Sam to repeat the lecture at the earliest possible date because so “many ladies and gentlemen ... failed to obtain admission” and others who might have attended had been discouraged by the muddy streets. The box office receipts amounted to over twelve hundred dollars. After sharing the box with Maguire and paying advertising costs, Sam cleared about four hundred dollars. His detractors—who claimed that he had failed to speak loudly enough to be heard throughout the hall or that his earthly humor was too coarse to be enjoyed by respectable women—intimated that the flattering reviews were written by critics intimidated by Sams reputation into praising his performance lest he retaliate. Sam responded by bragging he had “the consolation of slapping my pocket and hearing their money jingle. They have their opinions, and I have their dollars.”

Page 351-2:  The Life of Mark Twain: The Early Years, 1835-1871


The trip from San Francisco to Sacramento was made by river boat, Mark Twain choosing this type  of transportation rather than stagecoach not only for nostalgic reasons, remembering his Mississippi steamboat days, but because it was more comfortable, more scenic, and because the boat had a bar.  

(The Trouble Begins at Eight)

Metropolitan Hall in Sacramento on October 11

From Sacramento, "They steamed inland on the Flora to Marysville on the Feather River..."  (pg 356 Scharnhorst V1)

From Marysville,  "They then took a stage to Grass Valley..." 

Scharhorst reports that Twain spent the night in Meadow Lake, a mining camp  where Orion had previously lived.  It is currently a ghost town on the map called Summit City.