The tower named Swych Utrechtnl, part of the Amsterdam city walls and defence system. It was part of the Kloveniersdoelen, the gathering and shooting place for the city militia/guard known as "kloveniers". Doelen means "targets" in Dutch. The companies of kloveniers were armed with an early type of musket then sometimes called in Dutch "klover", from the French couleuvrine, hence the name "kloveniers". The Kloveniersdoelen was expanded in with a stylish new wing where the famous group portrait De Nachtwacht by Rembrandt was hung. In 1815 this part of the Kloveniersdoelen became used as Brack's Doelen Hotel. In 1870 a new owner took over, J.F. Hahn. During the International Colonial and Export Exhibition Hahn demolished the building in 1882-3 to make way for the current Doelen Hotel, a building of Neo-Renaissance architecture designed by architect J.F. van Hamersveld.