• Allyn House Hotel, Hartford

    Submitted by scott on

    The Allyn House was built in 1857 by Timothy Allyn, and in its heyday was one of the city’s premier hotels.  In his 1867 Illustrated Guide to the Connecticut Valley, Henry Martyn Burt describes it as “the largest and most elegant” of Hartford’s hotels, and that “no pains have been spared to make this a first class hotel in every respect.”  As built, it could accommodate almost 300 guests, many of whom were likely businessmen involved in Hartford’s insurance industry, as well as politicians working and visiting the state capital.

  • American Hotel, Honolulu

    Submitted by scott on

    The origins of what we now know as the Royal Hawaiian Hotel trace back to its initial incarnation as the Hawaiian Hotel, situated in downtown Honolulu where the "One Capitol Place" building now stands. In 1872, King Kamehameha V renamed it the Royal Hawaiian Hotel, adding a regal touch. During his reign, foreign visitors increased, and the hotel became essential for accommodating dignitaries and travelers. Mark Twain, who visited in 1866, praised the king for his wisdom and simplicity.

  • Ampersand Hotel

    Submitted by scott on

    The Ampersand Hotel opened in 1888. The main building burned to the ground the night of September 23, 1907, after which the hotel was operated as a cabin complex until the property was acquired by the State.

    New York Times, May 26, 1895

  • Bagg's Hotel

    Submitted by scott on

    Bagg's Hotel was located in Utica, New York. The Bagg's Tavern preceded it and hosted General George Washington, General Lafayette, Henry Clay and General Ulysses S. Grant. It was a log house founded in 1794 by Moses Bagg. Bagg's Square Memorial Park marks the historic location.

    Wikipedia


     

  • Barnum's Hotel

    Submitted by scott on

    In the first years after the end of the Civil War Peter Gilsey operated the successful, if small, Barnum House hotel at the northeast corner of Broadway and 20th Street.  The building and land were owned by the Hess family and Gilsey held a 21-year lease on the hotel.  But he had his eyes on larger things.  In 1868 he purchased property nine blocks north on Broadway and began construction of his lavish French Second Empire style Gilsey House hotel.  It would be the last word in mid-Victorian architectural fashion.

  • Bateman's Hotel

    Submitted by scott on

    Bateman's Hotel (Winans Avenue and Commonwealth Avenue) was built in 1755 for the Collins family of Newport. Seth Bateman acquired the estate during the 1840s; by 1860 he had made numerous additions to the house and begun operating a boarding house. The grounds were a popular gathering place for Newport's cottagers. Following Mr. Bateman's death in 1887 the proprietorship of Bateman's Hotel was assumed by W. Sidney Bateman, who operated the hotel until 1944. Edmund W. Davis acquired the property around 1893 and sold it in 1947 to preservationist John Perkins Brown. In 1957, before Mr.

  • Beckel House, Dayton, OH

    Submitted by scott on

    According to Drury's history, and William P. Huffman, great grandson of D. Beckel and great, great grandson of William Huffman, D. Beckel built the hotel on the site he purchased from William Huffman. William P. Huffman was the son of William P. Huffman, whose father Torrence Huffman married Annie Beckel, a daughter to Daniel Beckel. Torrence Huffman was a grandson of William Huffman who owned the site originally. William Huffman built the Beckel House at Third and Jefferson Streets. The construction of the building began in 1853 and was completed in 1866.

  • Biddle House, Detroit, MI

    Submitted by scott on

    Young Men s Hall in the Biddle House Block was first used November 21 1861 It seated 1 500 and for many years was a popular place of resort Since 1875 it has been but little used for lectures

    The history of detroit and michigan or the metropolis illustrated, Silas Farmer 1889

    The Biddle House was once Detroit's most luxurious hotel, but, like much of the city, its lasting legacy is tied to the automobile.

  • Brevoort House, N.Y.

    Submitted by scott on

    When Henry Brevoort, Jr. built his free-standing house on the northwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 8th Street in 1834, he and his wife, Laura, were separated from society.  The fashionable residential neighborhood stretched east from Broadway, blocks from the plot his father had given him on which to build.  A descendant later recalled that Henry felt "very much in the woods and quite out of it."

  • Burdick Hotel, Kalamazoo

    Submitted by scott on

    The origins of hospitality on the present site of the Radisson Plaza Hotel date to August 1850 when construction of an imposing four-story brick structure began. Built by Frank Dennison and initially known simply as Dennison’s brick block, the new building occupied one hundred feet of frontage along Main Street, today’s Michigan Avenue. The Kalamazoo Gazette described the architecture and facilities in grand terms, noting a large archway which defined the main entrance. From this entry, a broad hall extended through the building creating space for two stores.

  • Clinton House and Hall, Clinton, MA

    Submitted by scott on

    The Clinton House, at High and Church streets, was favored by industrialists and visiting salesmen, many tied to the booming carpet/weaving industry.

    The Clinton House opened in 1847, capped by a mansard roof. A separate grand hall, called Clinton Hall, which would later host Twain, was added to the property three years later. Eventually, the hall and hotel were connected. 

    Clinton Hall became the center of the town's social world. There were balls, lectures, school events and military gatherings.

  • Doelen Hotel

    Submitted by scott on

    The tower named Swych Utrechtnl, part of the Amsterdam city walls and defence system. It was part of the Kloveniersdoelen, the gathering and shooting place for the city militia/guard known as "kloveniers". Doelen means "targets" in Dutch. The companies of kloveniers were armed with an early type of musket then sometimes called in Dutch "klover", from the French couleuvrine, hence the name "kloveniers".

  • Eagle Hotel, Bethlehem, PA

    Submitted by scott on

    The site of today’s Historic Hotel Bethlehem changed as well, for the Moravians replaced the First House of Bethlehem with a general store in 1794. In fact, this business would gradually morph into a gorgeous inn over the next three decades, becoming the “Golden Eagle Hotel” at the beginning of the 1820s. That incarnation of the Historic Hotel Bethlehem continued to operate unhindered right up until 1919, when the building began temporarily housing convalescing soldiers upon their return from the European battlefields of World War I.

  • Everett House, NY

    Submitted by scott on

    The site of the Everett Building was initially part of the colonial farm owned by Dutch settler Cornelius Tiebout. Union Square was first laid out in the Commissioners' Plan of 1811, expanded in 1832, and then made into a public park in 1839. The completion of the park led to the construction of mansions surrounding it, and the Everett House hotel, located on the north side of East 17th Street. was among one of several fashionable buildings completed around Union Square.

  • Fenwick Hall Hotel, Saybrook, CT

    Submitted by scott on

    In the summer of 1870 a group of Hartford investors decided that Old Saybrook, would be an excellent location for developing a summer resort for wealthy Hartford residents.  They named their company the New Saybrook Company. The centerpiece of their resort would be the grand Fenwick Hall hotel.  318 lots surrounding the hotel were offered for sale.

  • Galt House, Louisville, KY

    Submitted by scott on

    The Galt House was, in the early 19th century, the residence of Dr. W.C. Galt. The house was located at the corner of Second and Main Street.

    In 1834, the first instance of the Galt House as a hotel was established and in 1835 was opened by Col. Ariss Throckmorton as a 60-room hotel on the northeast corner of Second and Main streets in Louisville. During the nineteenth century, The Galt House was acclaimed as Louisville's best hotel. Many noted people stayed at the original Galt House, including Jefferson Davis, Charles Dickens, Abraham Lincoln and Ulysses S. Grant.

  • Globe Hotel, Bermuda

    Submitted by scott on

    During the American Civil War, Bermuda was central to Confederate blockade-running efforts due to its excellent harbors and proximity to Southern ports. The Globe Hotel served as the headquarters of Confederate purchasing agent Maj. Norman S. Walker throughout the war. Now the Bermuda National Trust Museum, it features a permanent exhibit called Rogues and Runners: Bermuda and the American Civil War. Among the items on display is a rare copy of the Great Seal of the Confederacy, which was smuggled through the island.

  • Grand Hotel Beau-Rivage Interlaken

    Submitted by scott on

    The Grand Beau-Rivage Interlaken has stood majestically between the emerald green waters of Lake Thun and Lake Brienz for 150 years, a timeless icon of Swiss hospitality and elegance. Its history is a fascinating journey through the 19th century to the present day, characterized by luxury, grace and incomparable beauty.