Currently Rubin Hall, an undergraduate residence for New York University students.
When wealthy New Yorkers returned from their summer homes following the summer season of 1876, they found that the new Grosvenor Hotel had opened. Sitting in the most fashionable section of the city, on the northeast corner of Fifth Avenue and 10th Street, the hotel consumed two building lots—Nos. 35 and 37 Fifth Avenue. The lack of protest from neighbors was no doubt due to its restrained architecture and high-class clientele.
“The plan is to let the rooms in suites to guests of the wealthier and more cultured classes, who furnish them according to their own taste and judgment. These suites of rooms are provided with all the requisites of a modern home, and the privacy of each one is perfect.”
In October of 1897 Orvis added one more item to the hotel's list of advantages. An advertisement in The Sun listed “beautifully furnished apartments, superior cuisine and service” and added “Fifth avenue asphalt pavement completed.”
On May 30, 1926 The New York Times noted “On the northeast corner of Tenth Street, the new fifteen-story Grosvenor hotel apartment is nearing completion. It replaces the dignified Grosvenor, which had been a landmark there for practically half a century.”