Cohocton, the town was first settled around 1794, known as Liberty. Cohocton was formed from Bath and Dansville in 1812. Part of the town was later used to form new towns in the county: Avoca (1843) and Wayland (1848). In 1874, the town was enlarged by the addition of a part of the town of Prattsburgh.
The Cohocton valley was one of the best Indian hunting grounds until the forests were cut down. The streams dried up and most of the animals moved to other places. For many years there were no deer in this part of the state. Soon after 1815 the last Indians left the valley and went to the state reservations.