Village Icon

  • Le Bouveret

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 22:48

    Le Bouveret is a village in the commune of Port-Valais in the Swiss canton of Valais. Situated at the southernmost end of Lake Geneva and close to the French border, Le Bouveret is very much tourism-oriented with several amusement attractions, including the Swiss Vapeur Parc and the water amusement park Aquaparc. Le Bouveret is also the seat of Cesar Ritz Colleges, a Hospitality school.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Bouveret

  • Kefr Hawar - Jonesborough

    Submitted by scott on Mon, 10/25/2021 - 01:58

    Kafir Hawar, the usual halting place between Baniyas and Damascus. The village is inhabited by Muslims and contains (on the W. side) the ruins of a small square temple of the Roman period. The interior (which is empty) must be approached through the hut in front. By the house above the waterfall on the hill we obtain a fine view of the plain, particularly of the region of Salsa' (p. 297).

  • Kaltenleutgeben

    Submitted by scott on Mon, 10/25/2021 - 01:59

    Kaltenleutgeben is located in the southern Vienna Woods near the industrial district in Lower Austria. More than 73 percent of the area is forested and the town encompasses 17.5 square kilometers. The community borders on the extreme southwest of the city of Vienna and is a popular recreation area for the Viennese population. 

    The parish church of St. James in Kaltenleutgeben was built in 1728-1729 and is a major work of the baroque architect Jakob Oeckhl. He built and financed the building after the death of his second wife because of a vow he made with the birth of his son.

  • Al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya

    Submitted by scott on Mon, 10/25/2021 - 02:23

    Al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya (Arabic: اللبّن الشرقية‎‎) is a Palestinian village in the northern West Bank, located 20 kilometers south of Nablus, in the Nablus Governorate. The town has a total land area of 12,075 dunams of which 200 dunams is built-up area. The village is just north of the historic Khan al-Lubban caravansary.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Lubban_ash-Sharqiya

  • Nâbulus

    Submitted by scott on Mon, 10/25/2021 - 01:11

    Nâbulus. — Accommodation in the Latin Mission House (letter of introduction from Jerusalem necessary).

    The Camping Ground is on the W. side of the town. It is reached by turning to the right before reaching the gate of the town and riding round the N. side of the town. The commandant should be requested to furnish one or two soldiers as a guard for the tents (about 1/2 mej. per man).

    Post and Telegraph Office (Turkish).

  • Sebastîyeh

    Submitted by scott on Mon, 10/25/2021 - 01:10

    History. The palace of Omri, king of the northern empire, at Tirzah having been burned down , he purchased a hill from one Shemer, and erected upon it a new residence for himself called Shomeron, or Samaria (1 Kings xvi. 24). The town continued to be the capital of the kingdom of Israel until it was taken by Sargon in B.C. 722, after a siege of three years. The town was doubtless devastated on that occasion, but in the time of the Maccabees it was again an important and fortified place. After a siege of a year it was taken and totally destroyed by Hyrcanus.

  • Shunem - Sulam

    Submitted by scott on Mon, 10/25/2021 - 01:07

    Sûnem or Shunem was a town of the tribe of Issachar. The form Sulem is found in the word Shulamite (Song of Sol. vi. 13). Here, too, probably stood the house of the Shunammite woman (2 Kings iv. 8).  — The Nebi Dahi is for the first time called Hermon by St. Jerome, and has since been known as 'Little Hermon', with a mistaken reference to Ps. lxxxix. 12. The hill Moreh (Judges vii. 1) is supposed to be identical with this range of hills , which derives its present name Nebi Dahi from a makâm or sanctuary of that prophet and a village situated near the top (1815 ft.).

  • Nain - Nein

    Submitted by scott on Mon, 10/25/2021 - 01:05

    The village of Nain may be visited by making a slight digression from Sûlem. We follow at first the direct road to Nazareth above described, and then, after 35 min., diverge from it to the left. The road skirts the base of the hill and soon reaches (1/2 hr.) Nain, a small village famed as the scene of the raising of the widow's son (Luke vii. 11-15).  The village consists of wretched clay huts. Near it are rock-tombs and a Franciscan chapel.

  • Endor - Village

    Submitted by scott on Mon, 10/25/2021 - 01:04

    Khirbet Safsafeh / Es-Safsafa (32°38′26.69″N 35°22′36.91″E) - Many believe Khirbet Safsafeh to be the site of ancient En-dor, as reflected as being the site most normally marked on maps.

  • Quneitra - Jonesborough

    Submitted by scott on Mon, 10/25/2021 - 00:57

    Bædeker:  El-Kunêtra, a neatly and regularly built village, situated 3040 ft. above the sea-level, whence an ancient Roman road leads to Baniyas. The village is the seat of the government of Jôlân (a Kâimmakâm under the Mutesarrif of the Haurân); 1300 inhabitants, mostly Circassians. International Telegraph. Little is left of the ancient village. This is the best place on the route for spending the night. Travellers are cautioned against sleeping in the open air, as heavy dews fall here. 

  • Aldgate, South Australia

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 22:48

    Rather than take the train all the way in to Adelaide, Mark Twain and party disembarked at Aldgate and took an open carriage ride the 20 miles to Adelaide, accompanied by C.A. Murphy the American Consul. October 12, 1895 10:30am