Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 16:44
Image

Louis or Lewis was mapped as a station between Troy and Kennekuk was possibly the same as the Cold Spring Ranch Station. The Lewis Station and Cold Spring Station were located the same distance between Troy and Kennekuk. One local history resource placed the station on North Independence Creek. Several other sources give yet another location for this station. "Chain Pump" and "Valley Home/House"  (NPS)

Note: Burton uses the name "Valley Home" and Kennekuk for the next station, not Cold Springs.

Cold Spring, Pony Express Station 1860. S&V p.127 locates "J. Hargis at Cold Spring." Bird p.11 shows N. & M.S. Hargis on NW 1/4 S34 and spring located on F. Bodart's NE 1/4 S34 T3S R20E. Francis Bodart settled on this claim in 1856; (see IDC p.176). This spring fed Cold Spring Branch of Wolf River and is on or near the railroad r.o.w. "Cold Spring Branch derived its name from Cold Spring near an old station on the Pottawatomie Trail near the present site of Bendena. The spring from which it rises is exceedingly cold, which suggested the name to early travelers on the old route." (IDC p.268) Joe Nardone, Western Trails Enterprises, has information that Cold Spring is in NE1/4 S36 T3S R19E north of Syracuse. This spring feeds Ryan's Branch which joins Cold Springs Branch in S30 T3S R19E.  EXTINCT TOWNS AND POST OFFICES OF DONIPHAN COUNTY, KANSAS

39° 48' 53" N , 95° 12' 13" W
Site Category
Venue
No

Reader Feedback Webform

Type of Feedback