• Fairmount Water Works

    Submitted by scott on Sat, 02/19/2022 - 11:08

    The Fairmount Water Works in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was Philadelphia's second municipal waterworks. Designed in 1812 by Frederick Graff and built between 1812 and 1872, it operated until 1909, winning praise for its design and becoming a popular tourist attraction. It now houses a restaurant and an interpretive center that explains the waterworks' purpose and local watershed history. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1976 for its architecture and its engineering innovations. It was the nation's first water supply to use paddle wheels to move water.

  • Horses of St Mark''s

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 21:00

    The Triumphal Quadriga or Horses of St Mark's is a set of bronze statues of four horses, originally part of a monument depicting a quadriga (a four-horse carriage used for chariot racing) The horses were set into the facade of St Mark's Basilica in Venice, northern Italy after the sack of Constantinople in 1204. They remained there until looted by Napoleon in 1797 but were returned in 1815. The quadriga have been removed from the facade and place in the interior of St. Mark's for conservation purposes.

  • Arch of Peace

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 21:00

    Porta Sempione ("Simplon Gate") is a city gate of Milan, Italy. The name "Porta Sempione" is used both to refer to the gate proper and to the surrounding district ("quartiere"), a part of the Zone 1 division (the historic city centre), including the major avenue of Corso Sempione.[1] The gate is marked by a landmark triumphal arch called Arco della Pace ("Arch of Peace"), dating back to the 19th century, but its origins can be traced back to a gate of the Roman walls of Milan.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porta_Sempione

  • Mary's Well

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 20:37

    Mary’s Well (Arabic: عين العذراء, Ain il-'adra‎, or "The spring of the Virgin Mary") is reputed to be located at the site where the Angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and announced that she would bear the Son of God - an event known as the Annunciation.

  • George Washington Cable House

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 18:28

    The Cable House is located on the Garden District's west side, on the east side of Eighth Street between Chestnut and Coliseum Streets. It is almost entirely obscured from view by a tall hedge. It is functionally a two-story house, although it was built by Cable as a single-story structure with a full-height basement. Columns in front of the facade provide an arcade on the basement level, and support the porch of the main level. Bracketed posts support the roof above the porch.

  • Iao Valley

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 14:09

    The Hawaiian god Kāne is considered to be the procreator and the provider of life. He is associated with wai (fresh water) as well as clouds, rain, streams, and springs. Kanaloa, the Hawaiian god of the underworld, is represented by the phallic stone of the Iao Needle.

  • Gibraltar

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 17:22

    Visited by Mark Twain in 1867 and in 1903. He first arrived June 29, 1867 and again October 17. He spent most of the first stop visiting Tangier, the second stop touring southern Spain. He stopped at Gibralter November 3,1903, with his family, enroute to Italy. (Mark Twain A to Z)

  • Rock of Gibraltar

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 15:49

     The ship anchored in Gibraltar Bay on the morning of 29 (not 30) June, and most of the passengers spent the planned “day” at Gibraltar as the excursion prospectus suggested, “looking over the wonderful subterraneous fortifications.” Clemens, Slote, and Jackson, together with one other unidentified passenger, “rode on asses and mules up the steep, narrow streets and entered the subterranean galleries the English have blasted out in the rock,” according to Clemens.

  • Old Agency, Montana

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 14:40

    The second Indian Agency on the Blackfeet Reservation was built in 1879 at Old Agency, at the bend in the Flathead River. Agent John Young moved the buildings from Upper Badger Creek with help from the Blackfeet Indians. Both men and women dug cellars, hauled stone and mixed mortar. The women covered the exterior with lime from Heart Butte. The Indians called it "Old Ration Place" after the government began issuing rations.

  • Amazon, MT

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 14:22

    Amazon was a mining town that got its start in the 1880's. Silver was discovered in the area in 1872 and by 1883 a concentrator was located here. The railroad tunnel, constructed by the Montana Central Railway (part of the Great Northern), was cut by 1888 (the first train passed through on October 25, 1888), connecting Amazon to the smelters at Wickes and East Helena. However, the mining slowed considerably at Amazon by the late-1880's and did not pick up again until about 1903. By 1953, all the mines in the area were closed.