The Allyn Hall Fire, commonly referred to as the “Auditorium Fire” or the “Happy Hour Fire,” occurred less than a week later on February 26, 1914. The auditorium, which opened in 1856, hosted many political gatherings as well as theatrical events. The building also housed a restaurant, offices, and a movie theater, which had begun showing “moving pictures” in 1909.
The first fire alarm was sounded at 12:21 pm. The fire originated in the rear of the store of the G.W. Fuller Co. on the ground floor. Fire trucks and firefighters struggled through snow to respond to the fire, which quickly spread to the north end of the building. Parts of the upper floors fell into the street, littering rubble and debris. Smoke poured from the windows and the roof of the commercial block containing the theater and other stores. The fire department’s new water tower was used to combat the height of the fire, reducing the flames considerably. Following the fire, the historic old building was so badly damaged it had to be demolished. Today the XL Center, which occupies the same block on Asylum Street, offers sporting events, concerts, and other forms of entertainment.