Elmira Opera House

The Building and Site. The structure was erected in 1867 at a cost of $89,000. It seated 2,000 persons. It opened on December 17, 1867, with a temperance lecture. Later it was sold and remodeled; it reopened as the Lyceum Theatre in 1898. In 1904 it was lost in a cataclysmic fire that claimed one additional theater and six stores in downtown Elmira. The theater was rebuilt and opened, still as the Lyceum, in 1905. It closed in 1926 and was demolished in 1949.

Chatham Square M.E. Church

"The first Methodist Church in Keokuk was started in 1842 at 325 Exchange St. and was called the First Methodist Society. In 1869 they moved to 9th and Bank St., built a church and changed their name to First Methodist Episcopal Church. From 1869 – 1910 the German MC, Swedish MC and Chatham Square M.E. Church joined together to form Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church at the corner of 10th and Main St. in Keokuk, Ia. at that time there was 645 members."

https://keokuktumchurch.org/our-trinity-history/

Grand Forks, ND

Prior to settlement by Europeans or Americans, the area where the city now sits – at the forks of the Red River and Red Lake River – had been an important meeting and trading point for Native Americans. Early French explorers, fur trappers, and traders called the area Les Grandes Fourches meaning "The Grand Forks". By the 1740s, Les Grandes Fourches was an important trading post for French fur trappers. A U.S. post office was established on the site on June 15, 1870, and the name was changed to "Grand Forks".

Subscribe to