• St. Joseph, MO

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 17:39

    July of 1861, Samuel L. Clemens and his brother, Orion, arrived in St. Joseph by riverboat from St. Louis. "The first thing we did on that glad evening that landed us at St. Joseph was to hunt up the stage-office, and pay a hundred and fifty dollars apiece for tickets per overland coach to Carson City, Nevada."

  • Carson City

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 17:39

    We were approaching the end of our long journey. It was the morning of the twentieth day. At noon we would reach Carson City, the capital of Nevada Territory. We were not glad, but sorry. It had been a fine pleasure trip; we had fed fat on wonders every day; we were now well accustomed to stage life, and very fond of it; so the idea of coming to a stand-still and settling down to a humdrum existence in a village was not agreeable, but on the contrary depressing."

  • Memphis, Tennessee

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 17:39

    Clemens visited the town frequently during his piloting days on the Mississippi River.  In June of 1858 he spent a week there while his brother, Henry, was in hospital after the Pennsylvania's explosion.

  • Glasgow, MT

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 15:49

    The Nakota, Lakota, and Dakota peoples inhabited the Glasgow region until 1888. In 1887 they signed a treaty surrendering 17,500,000 acres. They were relocated tot he Fort Peck Indian Reservation and all tribes removed from the Glasgow area. At one time this area supported huge herds of buffalo and other games, as reported by the Lewis and Clark expedition. The last native American buffalo hunt held here occurred in 1885.

  • Louisville, KY

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 15:29

    January 5 & 6, 1885 Leiderkranz Hall 

    Interviewed 5 January 1885 "A Great Humorist," Louisville Post 5 January 1885, p1  

    Included in "Mark Twain: The Complete Interviews" (#31) The Galt House: Built in 1835 at the corner of Second and Main on the Louisville waterfront. 

  • Petoskey, MI

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 15:04

    The Little Traverse Bay area was long inhabited by indigenous peoples, including the Odawa people. The name "Petoskey" is said to mean "where the light shines through the clouds" in the language of the Odawa. After the 1836 Treaty of Washington, Odawa Chief Ignatius Petosega (1787–1885) took the opportunity to purchase lands near the Bear River. Petosega's father was Antoine Carre, a French Canadian fur trader and his mother was Odawa. By the 1850s, several religious groups had established missions near the Little Traverse Bay.

  • Avoca, NY

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 14:15

    Avoca, The first settler arrived around 1794. At that time, the area was home to the Seneca Indians. The town was formed from parts of four other towns in 1843: Bath, Cohocton, Howard, and Wheeler.

  • Atlanta, NY

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 14:15

    Atlanta, A hamlet in the northeast part of Cohocton formerly known as "Bloods." It was founded around 1840. The Cohocton River changes from east-flowing to south-flowing at Atlanta.

    The settlement of the township was slow at first. There were many dangers and hardships: bears, bobcats, panthers, lynxes, wolves and rattlesnakes.

  • Savona, NY

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 14:15

    Savona. The Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad (DL&W) was completed through Savona in 1882, providing direct competition with the Erie Railroad, which opened in Savona in 1852. The opening of a second major railroad convinced a majority of the residents that the town would continue to grow and need its own government. May of 1883 Savona became a village corporation.

  • Corning, NY

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 14:15

    Corning: Crystal City, famous for its glass industry but it began with lumber rafting down the Chemung river. Named for Erastus Corning, a very wealthy financier, politician and land speculator who ran the Utica and Schenectady Railroad for twenty years.

  • Dunkirk, NY

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 14:15

    Dunkirk was the original terminus of the New York and Erie Railroad. The terminus was relocated to Buffalo in 1852.

  • North Shropshire

    Submitted by scott on Sun, 10/24/2021 - 14:15

    Established for the 1832 general election, North Shropshire has been continuously held by the Conservative Party for its entire existence.[n 4] However, the constituency was abolished in 1885 and re-created in 1983.