Mount Gerizim - 1898

The slopes of Mt. Gerizim afford a beautiful view of Nâbulus.  By the highest row of gardens we turn to the left (E.), and follow a terrace skirting the rocky slope. The large caverns here were probably once quarries. From the terrace we at length reach a platform, from which projects a triangular piece of rock, about 10 ft. in diameter. This spot accords better than any other with the narrative of Judges ix. 7-21, while the passage Joshua viii. 30-3S applies best to the amphitheatrical bays of Ebal and Gerizim to the E. of Nâbulus.

Joseph’s Tomb - 1858

Joseph’s Tomb.—In the very centre of the valley's mouth, a short distance N. of the well, is a little square area enclosed by a high white wall, and having a common Muslem tomb placed diagonally across the floor—this is the traditional tomb of Joseph. There is nothing about it to interest one, or to give evidence of antiquity; yet it is most probably genuine. Joseph on his death-bed “took an oath of the children of Israel, saying, “God will surely visit you, and ye shall carry up my bones from hence.” (Gen. 1.

Mount Ebal - 1858

Mount Ebal lies on the N. side of the vale of Nâbulus, opposite Gerizim, and is nearly equal to it in altitude. Its sides are somewhat more rugged, and its general outline perhaps bolder than Gerizim. The ascent is not difficult, a goat-path leading up from the town past a little wely. On the summit is a broad stony platform, with a few unimportant ruins; but no traces of what might probably be the altar built by Joshua on which the Law was inscribed. (Josh. viii. 30-35.) The view is wide and interesting, resembling that from Gerizim. About 2m. to the N.E.

SHILOH - 1858

SHILOH, now Seilûn.—To visit this interesting site costs 1/2 an hour's extra ride. We turn to the rt. below Sinjil, cross the little plain close on the N. side of Turmus ‘Aya, ascend the gentle rocky acclivity, pass the water shed, and have the ruins before us, only 25 min, from the mouth of Wady el-Jîb. We are disappointed. There is nothing here in either the ruins or the. scenery to attract notice. It is utterly featureless —naked rounded hills, paved with rocks and stones, from which the ruins can scarcely be distinguished. Mr.

RAMAH of BENJAMIN - 1858

RAMAH of BENJAMIN, er-Râm —Descending the N.W. side of Tuleil el-Fûl, we observe at its base, near the road, some old foundations and heaps of ruins called Khirbat el-Kut’a, probably remains of Gibeah. A few min. farther the camel-road to Yâfa by el-Jîb and Wady Suleimân strikes off to the l.; and in 20 min. more is a ruined khan with arches and reservoirs, from which a path leads up the stony hill on the rt. to er-Râm. This.is a small poor village, with some fragments of columns and large bevelled stones built up in the modern houses and scattered among the dirty lanes.

GIBEAH - 1858

GIBEAH, now Tuleil e-Fûl.—[Wikipedia] From the site of Nob we ride down the rocky declivity, then across the narrow valley, and then up the steep bare side of Tuleil el-Fûl, “The Hill of the Beans.” On the summit are ruins, but of what—whether palace, fortress, or temple—it is impossible to tell; a rounded, confused heap of stones is all that can be made out. This forms a kind of nob upon the conical hill, rendering it more conspicuous over all the surrounding country.

Subscribe to